Wednesday 8 January 2014

A touch of the blues

 It's not me who has the blues though I do live with a depressive mood disorder  I am very glad to say that these days I am keeping in very good spirits. You will see the blue connection soon. We had a lovely Christmas in our little cottage for the first time.
 Dinner for 6 on Christmas night with all the trimmings
 and making good use of my combined Christmas and birthday present of a beautiful vintage dinner set bought at a hospice shop in Howick a few weeks ago. Boxing day we had all the family, 10 in all and it was a jolly time. So jolly for me that I forgot to take photos. All that good eating, always more than we should it is now time to get down to exercising seriously along with the 5&2 diet.
 First the walking on alternate days to save my arthritic feet and looking at my feet I gasped at the sight of these Purselane flowers in a little park I pass through. The colour was so intense. They are usually mown over in our lawn.
 Looking around I took in the beauty of these Hydrangeas, a very pretty blue
 And these which are about as pink as these flowers get in our area. I think its the acid soil.
 Well Kerry didn't get this lovely blue boat for christmas even though it sits under one of our native Christmas trees.
 Further up the road the Agapanthas were in full bloom, blue and some white ones
 They are down both sides of this road and looking back I saw this tractor coming and thought I'd wait till it got closer and give this pic a touch of the agricultural scene that surrounds this area. When it came right alongside me I realised it was Kerry's cousin on his way to make hay.
 I love the intense colour of this particular patch
 And this is the beginning of our road where the aggis are making themselves at home.
 We have several ponds along our small road which encourages a lot of wildlife which often trot back and forth across the road. I'd like to see special notices. a restricted speed and maybe even speed bumps.
 Most of the ponds are not easy to see
 Can you see this pond looking a bit brown with the recent rain run off.
 I've stopped for a breather halfway up the last little but very steep hill and there at the top is our old home with the new owners motorhome. Yes R has done up about 14 of them so has much in common with Kerry and V is a quilter, spinner, and embroiderer so her and I have much in common. She used to come to our shop so We have known them a while which is just dandy.
 This is looking down the otherside of the hil to the end of our road where we are on the left. All the trees and shrubs along the left side were planted by us over the 20 years we were there.
 And here we are and there is Emmylou peeping out of the barn door.
 She has her wings now which is very exciting. We are now full members of the NZ motor caravan association with all its perks including discounts for the Cook Straight ferry which we have booked for the 29th of Jan at 2.30 am . It is so exciting, we will arrive in Picton as the sun is rising.
 Heres Kerry working on the battery connections for the solar panels which are to go on the roof. We are so lucky that he is so talented in all these areas or we would never have had a house bus and all the joys she gives us.
 Some blues in our garden under the trees. They have taken over from the Cinerarias that are now setting seed.
 This is a pretty powdery blue
 My little cottage garden continues to give me great joy and the roses are haveing their second flowering
 I think this is Abraham Darby
 and this
 and this
 Now how is this for colour. This cacti sort of thingy that I tolerate in all it's unattractiveness except for when it flowers briefly, but the colour is so intense and takes my breath away
 More of the roses
 Around the back of the garage there is a row of fluxes and these wild Mombretia, another roadside attraction in the summer. I love the colour
 These caught my eye. The seed pods of one of the flax plants. I was tempted to pick some for an interesting arrangement inside
 but I opted for just the Mombretia and a touch of blue Hydrangea. It was one of those gasp moments that I seem to have a lot of these days, joyful gasps that is.
 Recently I have been working on the plain green tin door to my studio. It needed a makeover so I set to with the PVA glue and my collection of pretty papers and vintage scraps. It was great fun and I am thrilled with the results.
 In particular the doily sign Trills Patch and when I remember how to do it, it will be my blog heading.
Its been lovely walking and talking with you. I wish you all a very happy and healthy New Year.
Blessings and love, Trills xx

No comments:

Post a Comment