Wednesday 12 November 2014

Interrupting the flow.

I'm sure you won't mind this little diversion from Mount Maunganui but here I am up in the city and getting around here and there catching up with folks including my 99yr old Aunt Olive, friends and family, and getting my city fix in K'rd. yep! I ventured there on Monday hoping to catch up with a special lady, Sarah Lancaster at her little Sew Love centre. All the way in on the bus I was thinking maybe she's not there on Mondays, and I was right. Of course! Everyone needs a day off and she is busy all weekend as well as the week days.
Still, I was there in St Kevin's arcade and it was lunch time so I enjoyed some delicious frittata and a cider ( given I wasn't driving ), in the wonderful atmosphere of the Alleluya cafe with it large array of mismatched vintage furniture out in the atrium that overlooks Myers Park.
As usual, these pictures don't do it justice and of course one cannot capture the atmosphere with this medium. But I did enjoy my spell there and among the op shops nearby with just a couple of finds. 
BUT TODAY, THURSDAY, SUCCESS!! 
Sew Love was open and Sarah was there busy sewing. 
This beautiful, fabulous young lady is doing great things. She has brought sewing, and upcycling, into the limelight, teaching classes to hungry eager learners, encouraging folk to upcycle older clothing, fabrics and op shop finds into fashion pieces or just fun and practical stuff like bags, cushions,etc.
Graduating from working from home with pop up workshops and stalls she now has this wonderful space in the hub of K'rd, such a popular centre for such a huge mix of folks. It has an awesome atmosphere, and I love it.
The space is not big in size but big in the Wellcome and energy within. Sarah was busy making tank tops trombone sweat shirting and has a rack of items for sale. 
Vintage fabrics line the shelves along with makes by other folks. All are Wellcome to come and use the machines, and other sewing stuff, with help and advice at hand.
A young lady from a neighbouring shop came in for help with her op shop jacket sleeves and left much happier with the problem solved. 
I have struck a quiet day, but Sarah will be here till late with a workshop in the evening. It was so lovely to spend these few hours with her. I wore my skirt and voluminous doily covered studio smock to show her and took some hand stitching to do. It was a thoroughly special time. Thankyou Sarah, and all the best in your very worthwhile venture. I hope I can join you again soon.
Blessings and love, Trills.xxx









No comments:

Post a Comment