Monday 22 April 2013

Back in the groove

 Well, after all our breaks away enjoying the long summer and my retreat its time to get back into some sort of routine and back into our normal rythm of life. The first event was Time Out. This is a community project put on by our church and it is a craft morning for young mums. Their little ones are cared for in the creche and the mums join us for some crafty fun. This was our first one of this year and M & S were in charge of the craft which was these lovely cake plates made of plastic plant saucers on plastic cup stands and decorated to our hearts desire.
 We provide all the materials and tools required along with morning tea.
 This was my attempt and Im ashamed to say is still unfinished. I couldnt decide whether to do the stand in the same paper which is a favourite of mine. What do you reckon.
 C did some lovely stencilling on hers using paper doilies.
 Ch is always slick and quick. A very crafty lady who has taken a few of our crafts for us including lovely scarves last Winter.
 The next event was Quilt group and here is J show and tell. She is such a prolific patchworker and is on a roll with her set in circles designs ever since we had a class on them in 2010. My attempt is still in the UFO bag.
 These are also set in circles of some lovely toile type figurines and J quilted as you go on this one in a recent class on this technique . Her large quilts are usually quilted by another lady on her longarm machine.
 As most of us just bring handwork to do on group days , I was thrilled to see J's wirlygig stars that I introduced to the group on a demo on English paper piecing a few years ago. After seeing a quilt in a mag I got my daughter to draw up the pattern for me on the computer then I gave out the pattern and quite a few have taken up the challenge.
 This wallhanging made by MM is exquisite. I just love poppies and could see it hanging above my bed. She does such beautiful work and quite a bit of it in 3D .
 MH showed her quilt started some time ago and with 12 blocks for the months of the year each depicting something special to her and her family. MH is also a very prolific quilter and has taught us many great tips and patterns.She is also in charge of our group project for this year.
 Those of us doing it all held up our first blocks as a group. This is my soft and pretty style
 and interpretation  and this is a picture of the patern. As you can see it is many different sized blocks with big variety of paterns incorporated in the whole. I t lends itself well to each person giving their own interpretation and style to their quilt so hopefully by next years exhibition there should be quite a line up  of interesting quilts from this. I did have a rush of enthusiasm and planned to do a bright one as well and even started a op shop shirt and tie one but havent got very far on that score.
 I did look at my jeans bag that I made over a year ago and decided it was looking a bit shabby and maybe I should look at making a new one so I rummaged around for some op shop buys that I had in mind for this purpose.
I love the colour of these childs trows and the corded design .
 Then there is these nice yellow jeans that I might have got into in my 30s but Im not even dreaming beyond that. They are my choice this time.
 I thought these little doilies looked cute on the front pockets so that is my starting point .
 Now chop off the legs. They will be used for the handles.
 And a fossick among my button collection led to some choices for decoration. I'll keep you in touch with the progress as and when as It is my turn to do the craft at Time out next month and there is quite a lot to prepare for my choice of project. More on that later too.
I'll leave you with a view of my untidy possie on the sofa surrounded by my various projects and leisure interest including stitching, hooking, reading etc.
Bye for now and blessings to you all, Trills

No comments:

Post a Comment