Tuesday 16 April 2013

Beach Walk

 I'm still in retreat mode. This is my first morning all on my own in the bus and in the camp. All the campers and caravan owners left on the Tues as Wed meant school again etc. I like to sleep with the curtains open and wake up naturally with the light and I am sorry this picture does not do any justice to the glorious skies that greeted me. Bright coral edged clouds. It took my breath away.
 I started the day with a private little communion service. Its something special that I do sometimes when I find myself with a quiet still space of God time.
 The coral sky was a warning of the forecast rain for this day. Mind you with no radio or tv or papers I am not aware of the state of things beyond this special place and time . Anyway a walk is called for while there is still some sunshine and I chose the west end of the beach which has many baches and beach homes along it. Most of which can only be accessed by car when the tide is out.
 Beyond the sand is a rocky seascape . A wonderland for the gulls. The hill opposite are the Waitakere ranges of west Auckland.
 I do like the morning and afternoon shaddows that give a more slender image. One day .
 Im told that the original part of this house was originally the schoolhouse maybe about 100yrs ago.
 Im following the tracks of the morning traffic. Some folk live here permanently so must have to plan ahead carefully for shopping needs etc.
 Theres something special about this picture for me. It maybe not much more than a puddle but Id rather see the beauty of the rocks and reflections in the pool and a verse comes to mind. "He leadeth me beside still waters"
 Somewhere up there is a dwelling of some sort, someones special retreat.
 Boulders help to keep erosion at bay for many of the homes.
 A little grotto.
Now this cottage has special meaning for me. My neice J lived here for a time. It belongs to one of the original families on the peninsular and she was able to rent it for a few years. So our family Christmases were enjoyed here and I have very happy memories of our gatherings.
 Another view as we would have driven along the beach otherwise we left our cars on the road in the next pic and walked through a bush track carrying our gear.There is also a sad note to these memories as we lost my brother and only sibling in 1997, very suddenly leaving us all bereft.Heres to the good memories Ron. I miss you.
Here is where the road meets the beach.
 Im not venturing around the rocks today. Its slippery and the tide is coming in.
 And looking across the water I can see the rain falling on the hills. Its a glad sight with our drought conditions as these hills are the Auckland city catchment area and I hope it spreads further. I better retrace my steps.
 I quickened my pace but this typical Kiwi bach caught my eye. Dont you just want to wrap your arms around it and nurture it back to life. My imagination runs wild.
Oops. Passing traffic .
 Back in the warma nd dry bus there is plenty of reading to choose from and stitching and hot drinks.
And so my retreat followed this pattern for the next two days until DH returned and I followed him home.
 Hi Casper I'm home. He looks a bit miffed dont you think, like "Where do you think youve been"
Out the window a I glimpsed a joyful wellcome from this cacti. It sits in a corner of the deck until it floweres and now it gets pride of place on the outdoor table to be enjoyed to the full.
Now it is time to get back into the needs and joys of everyday life. What will it bring.
Till next time , blessings, Trills

No comments:

Post a Comment