Wednesday 10 April 2013

Yoyos and shells

 Ok. This has not started out as planned. Somehow I have lost a couple of pictures anyway Il fill you in. Instead of a God Space retreat at the Friary where I usually go at least once a year I decided to take my retreat at Orua bay where we spent a few days earlier and I posted pics of that time. So, DH drove Emmylou out and I followed in his car so he could leave me there for a few days on my own. Yes I have driven the bus a few times under strict supervision but would not be keen to try on my own even if I was licienced to do so. After luch together and a walk on the beach I settled down to some God time. So special. After a while I decided to do some contemplative stitching. Something simple and rthymic that brings me into companionable silence with God. I set myself up on the bed
 with a fresh breeze flowing through the open back window and all I needed over and around me.
I make my yoyos with this wonderful yoyo maker from Clover and they come in different sizes and shapes to make hearts and flowers and butterflies, but you cant beat the good old circle. I thought you might like to see how it works.
 The fabric goes between the two pieces and they click together then trim around the edge leaving a little to turn over.
 Holding down this edge behind stitch through from behind and then back again so the thread goes across the little open space. Around you go till youre back where you started. Make your thread long and double and if you plan well it will do you two or even three times. With the larger maker that I am using it does use a lot of thread but I like to have it double for strength.
 Now click apart the templates and peal off the fabric. Its very easy.
 Then draw up the thread as for any yoyo. Heres where you can save some thread by keeping only a short end at the knot and pulling from the needle. Draw it up tight and knot securely
 and Bobs your uncle. It is such a pleasant process, easy to do in front of tele or as a mobile project.
 They are mounting up. Probably for more cushions or I am thinking larger things.
A walk along the beach was called for as the tide was receeding. and what jewels of nature would it have left behind.
 The colour  of this spongy thing caught my eye but I didnt want to touch it.
 It was a good walk and my hand slowly filled with pretty jewels left by the tide till It could hold no more.
 So it was time to retrace my steps. I had dug out these crocks that I bought in UK in 2008 and hadnt used much but I am loving them for beach walking. So easy to just wash out the sand .
After more quiet time and study it was time for a simple supper of tinned chicken and sprouts with French bread and a glass of wine. This was very special for me in this space. Very different from the Friary but with the camp ground empty but for the managers it was very quiet and a true blessing. What will the morning bring. Ile see you there. Blessings, Trills.x

No comments:

Post a Comment