Sunday 31 March 2013

A day out with Emmylou

 Hi there. Here we are a few weeks ago now just after DHs tractor trek. While the weather was still so  beachy we thought we'd take Emmylou out for a day at Maraetai beach. We live on the west coast and Maraetai is on the east coast but just over an hour away and it used to be a regular haunt when we lived in Manurewa for 21 years. So here we are having just reached the east coast and heading along the windy coast road to our destination.

 The road is very narrow and windy and over shadowed by pohutakawa trees.
 Its a squeeze when we meet oncoming traffic especially trucks or buses but its worth it .
 We arrive and park along the beach front. Thats not us in the water of course but it will be soon.
 We are chilling out and letting our lunch go down. Then I thought as we were out in the sunshine it was a good oportunity to show you inside the bus.
 Looking towards the front. DH did all the work with a little help from me. It was just an empty metal shell when we bought her. Not even a motor and we had to take the seat and steering wheel out of the old bus so we could be towed home.
 I was thrilled to find this wallpaper of old tins. It would be over 20yrs since I did this job. The bathroom is behind that wall still with some work to be done.
I love my little kitchen and stove . extreme right is the edge of the large pantry cupboard which is always stocked with cans etc. I often think this is our emergency setup in case of a disaster like Christchurch.
 And here is the bedroom with Kaffee Fassett  quilt and that wallpaper that DH wants changed. The latest idea is to sine the area with maps which I think is a great idea. Saw it in Sarah Moore's house in Country Living mag.
 Time for a swim but Im not that brave. These are a swimming club going through their paces. We had a lovely swim further away . It always takes a bit to get in but once the initial shock is over its great and so refreshing.
 Time to sit in the sun and have afternoon tea which the gulls were thrilled to share. The land in the distance is Waiheke Island which shelters the coast and keeps the sea a lot calmer than on the west coast.
 I love birds and encourage them to come close with treats and snapped so many pics.
 Theres not many people out enjoying this lovely day. We are so blessed to be free to enjoy it, but it is time to head back and call in on some friends in Clevedon. T is in the tractor club with DH and he also has vintage cars.
He restored this old Dodge from a heap or rusty junk and I was thrilled to be invited to go for a drive.
DH sat in the dickey seat and was rather windblown. I remember my brother having a hotrod many years ago when I was about 8 and it had a dickey seat that I rode in.
 After a lovely visit with T and L we headed home into the sunset and arrived home in the dark cheering Emmylou for another grand outing.Now some weeks have passed so busy with caring for daughter after surgery. All well there PTL. A very busy time with the vintage gala at the Glenbrook vintage railway nearby and we have just had a lovely week away in Emmylou again at Mount Maunganui, so I have lots of pics to sort and post.
But now it is Easter and I want to wish all of you a blessed time and a refreshing break. I especially want to wish those of you in the UK some lovely spring weather . Blessings, Trills

3 comments:

  1. Fantastic pictures! What a great place to visit and live. I wish it was,t so far, or I'd pop and see it for myself!
    My dad did up a moterhome from scratch when I was 16...it was just an old hospital laundry van. Mum made the soft furnishings. I love the eclectic interior of yours. The purple wallpaper by the bed is fine ~ nothing wrong with that!

    Trills, I am very glad to hear your daughter coped fine with her op...I did indeed think of and pray for you both, as I know you'll have been rather apprehensive on her behalf. Hope she continues well.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is a relief to see our daughter back to her normal self and back working. We were afraid it might trigger a relapse of her chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia that she has only recovered from in recent years. thankyou for your thoughts and prayers and encouraging comments. I love this blog process of taking photos to sin a story or two. Blessings, Trills.x

      Delete
    2. Blogging is great!
      Hope your daughter improves without a problem...CFS and fibro are both horrid and a wretched nuisance.
      Hugs,
      A.x

      Delete