Friday 26 April 2013

We will remember them

 My Anzac story is very special and so I will tell it as the photos roll.
My Mum Joyce Watson married Donald Wyatt In  Chichester UK and they left for NZ the day after never  expecting to see their families again.
They came to farm where Don had been in his teens learning farming. My brother Ron was born and when he was just 21/2 yrs old he said goodbye to his Daddy who was off to fight in the NZ army.
 Here in Waiuku on 25th April we assembled at the memorial Hall then made our way to the cenotaph.
Don served in Egypt, Israel, and Italy where He was killed at the battle of Cassino.He never got to see his family again.
Its so good to see the young people honouring the fallen.This little group are the Young Seafarers.
 My Mum was given passage on a troop ship back to UK and the bossom of here family and it wasnt long before Dons brother Patrick who was in the RAF made a courtesy visit. He had been the anoying little brother when Mum and Don were courting.
 Now Pat was a handsome man in his uniform and very like his brother. They fell in love and were married.
 After the last post and speaches we march back to the hall for a service.
Joyce and Pat and my brother Ron honeymooned in Falmouth Cornwall where they met a little girl called Trillian and chose that name there and then for his future daughter.
After living in Selsey for 2yrs and the war far behind them they decided to come to NZ and settle and I was born shortly afterwards and duely named Trillian. My brother sadly died in 1997 very suddenly and poor Mum felt her Don had been lost all over again. Mum and Dad both joined Don and Ron in 2004. Together again.
So Anzac day is a very special rememberance day for me. Thankyou Lord for the blessings of my family.
I will always remember them with love and gratitude. Trills.

2 comments:

  1. Most interesting and moving to hear this story of your family, Trills. I love your name...Cornish names appeal to me a lot eg Morwenna and Loveday, 2 of my favourites. We lived there for 17 years!
    How lovely to honour your loved ones in this way,
    Blessings,
    Alex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex for your kind comments. Im i.teresred to hear you once lived in Cornwall. I have been to UK 5 times but the furthest West I managed was Bournmouth, My Dad having grown up in Christchurch. But it is top of my list for my next trip as soon as the house sells. That is our mantra these days, but no luck so far. Blessings, Trills.x

      Delete