Friday 6 February 2015

Thrifty Treasures.

Last Saturday Janet needed to go pick up a trade me find, so I tagged along. A couple of guys were clearing out their Mothers house, as she had gone into a home. People were coming and going with their trade me treasures and the garage floor was littered with stuff nit listed,YET! So we asked if we could fossick around.


Well! I scored the dear lady's sewing baskets with their treasures of old cottons, and bits and bobs.

Do any of you remember those flower basket needle packs. A couple of old tins, more bits and bobs.
And of course the baskets.


Such fond memories.


And this fellow. A plastic Tiki.

But this one is special. On the back you may just be able to see the words, "FLY TEAL". This was NZ's first commercial airline which became Air NZ. Well My Dad worked there. From the Early days with the flying boats, which he had flown in Britain during the war. He was based at Mechanics Bay and was still with them when they became Air NZ, up until 1973, playing a big part as an instrument technician.
Oh! The memories.

Another treasure was these glorious enamel pots, maybe for the bus. We were happy with our treasures, and on a roll, so headed for the thrift stores.

More doilies and linens for my collection. Luvly juvly!

Other recent finds gather around on available serfaces. Green glass jar, fun mugs, a darling cup and saucer.

Let's have a closer look. Isn't it sooo sweet. Possibly from one of those little coffee sets of old.


I love this old pot holder, made from vintage fabrics. I wonder when it was made and about the lady who made it and her life. It is stained with use. I have soaked, washed and pressed it and so it will stay in tact as a treasure.

And what about this little treasure. A beautifully crocheted edge but very crudely embroidered. Was it someone's first attempt at embroidery, or someone maybe disabled in some way, who was being helped and guided. When I first held it I thought I might unpick it and reimbroider it, but on reflection I have decided I will treasure it and it's secret story.


I was super thrilled with this $2 tin. Such a pretty scene of English village. What treasures shall I store in it?

Three little jugs. One old English, one Crown Lynn, and one of no great significance, but they are equal in my jug loving heart.


There is no room left on these shelves. I obviously need more shelves.

Oh! And I almost forgot this eye catcher. I have plans for this , can I say retro plant hanger. 
Time will tell.
Now I must get down to something constructive.

Clear the decks and crack on, Trills. You have a quilt to finish, and another to make. Not to mention so many other intentions and creations. CRACK ON GIRL!! It's already February! Aaaaaagh!!
Blessings dear friends, love Trills.xx




















No comments:

Post a Comment