Wednesday 14 May 2014

Jewels save the days


Some days are diamonds, some days are stones. So goes the John Denver song and my days are a mix of dark and heavy feelings punctuated with jewels that lift my spirits. I guess it's a reaction to the knee problem, having to cancel my trip etc. I have tried to avoid this reaction with positive plans for September but my mood has generally dropped after so many months of mental wellness and it's a case of PANTS, as Dotty Angel would say.

And now we have a very wet day.

But let's look at some jewels and shine a light through the fog.

I am loving this view through the lounge window of the Autumn colour of the Liquid Amber tree. I am thrilled that I am now the owner of this wonderful tree that my Dad planted over 15yrs ago. Thankyou Dad.

Another view from outside on a fine day. I do love, love, love, Autumn colours.



The lemons are precious jewels too and so prolific.

Another jewel was Mothers Day on Sunday when our sons and daughter all visited for afternoon tea. Daughter in law Louise brought delicious cakes and Jindina bakes cup cakes and Louise's Mum also joined us so it was a lovely afternoon followed by a fish pie dinner. Such a special family time, surely a very precious jewel.

The morning had started early. Yes I did get breakfast in bed, my usual banana and green tea start to the day. Then it was time to wake up the Bulldog.

It was the Steel and Wheels festival in our small town with hundreds of special cars and a variety of vehicles on show including agricultural, plus the steam train running, and stalls and entertainment.

I can't work out why this pic is on its side ,but this is the crowd of at least 20,000 , in our little town and district of 7,000. There was even a display by old Harvard planes.

Back to getting the Bulldog there. I don't know if I showed you how we start it. The blow torch is set under the bulb at the end of the single cylinder to heat it to red hot.

When it seems hot enough Kerry takes the steering wheel out and puts it in the fly wheel to crank it to start the engine, but this was a cool morning and it was not keen to get going. Every time Kerry stopped for a rest it would give a bang. Sometimes it sent up smoke rings.

Sometimes it breathed steam out from the front like a dragon

Steam and smoke gathered as the time flew. Kerry almost called a mate to help. He was hot and bothered, but one more valiant effort and it fired into life.

The blow torch was set aside to cool. Now this may seem an unusual jewel but I do love this piece of vintage apparatus . It is original to the 1938 Bulldog and I love all it's little taps and knobs etc. It fascinates me and makes me smile.

So out of the gate she rumbled

With one very relieved and happy jewel of a man in control of the beast.

Up and over the hill and on into town. It does make quite a noise which brings folks out of their homes to see what's making such a racket. I can hear it all the way down the main road in the distance.
I joined the festivities after church, there was such a crowd jostling along the streets lined with super classic and vintage cars, food stalls, and crafty stalls too. Yes I indulged in a few jewels, I'll show another day.

Back to today and what greater jewel to have on wet days than my studio. The colours and crafty eye candy in all directions is truly a joy to behold. To get my fuzzy brain into gear it has become an excersize to do some ironing. The rhythm of it seems to calm my mind and helps me find a focus.

I settled on grandson Bens quilt. Three years in the making. Not good. Didn't have a pattern, just flying by the seat of my pants with sort of an idea for the combi fabric that caught my eye. As Ben has a Combi I thought it would be great for a quilt for the van. Along with a Kiwiana strip roll and sone plain colours I just set out one day and started cutting and stitching, making it in 4 blocks for easier management. They have been waiting to be joined together since before we shifted.

I got 2 blocks sewn together and all set to hand stitch the join then turned to my ironing board which has been depressing me with its drab cover. I had this op shop fabric find in mind but it was too short unless it had joins in it. Maybe not.

Underneath was the older cover. Yuck!! Very marked from ironing steam a seam many moons ago, but it will do for the wadding.

How about this from the op shop sheets etc shelf. This is a duvet cover, then I spied the label, Broomhill, made in Ireland. That sounded a bit too good for an ironing board. We'll find a better use for this.

Back to the sheet etc shelf. What's that?

This is one of two pieces found in a throw out bin at an op shop in K'rd. well washed of course. I love the bright flowers. A possible.

But now there's this unused fitted sheet. Cotton, sturdy, pretty colours. A big possibility. Now I'm thinking about painting the shabby frame of the ironing board. After all it is nearly 48 yrs old. I'm thinking bright pink, or yellow, or coral, or lime green. I'll sleep on it.

A few more jewels from around the garden and pics saved from Facebook that give my spirits a lift.








Don't you just love this pic. Joy to the world. Let's make it an adventure. Happy days to you all and thanks for visiting. Love and blessings, Trills.xxx











No comments:

Post a Comment