Thursday 22 May 2014

The Joys of a new day.


I was reluctant to start today. Not for any particular reason, I was just very sleepy and enjoying a little dream time, but Kerry brought me a cuppa and opened the curtains to this picture of sunlight through the Autumn colour. Well that did the trick. Hello new day. Hello sunshine. I'm sure glad to see you.

Time to get out from these cosy covers and enjoy what this day has to offer. I am still rather lame, especially as I have now injured the right knee as well, but today I manage to hobble around without the crutches, so we have a little progress. MRI next Tues.

Meanwhile I think this sunny day calls for the rugs, cushions etc on the deck. 

And while I am able to let's take a gentle stroll about the garden. The three main trees, Liquidamber, Scarlet Oak and Awanui Cherry are displaying their Autumn beauty but are slowly losing these fine garments as they fall

About their feet leaving a carpet of colour

It is usually my job to rake the leaves and I miss this meditative task as Kerry whips around with the mower and catcher these days so this is two days since and the wind is getting up.

My little miniture woodland path is awash under the Scarlet Oak and Cherry trees.

These rather pathetic azaleas are doing their best spread a little joy and they do. I had plans to plant more so they would provide a glorious show. Maybe by next year.

I am sooo enjoying these surroundings. A sense of freedom as I walk carefully around the trees in the dappled sunlight.

The still green tree behind the colour is a common Oak grown from an acorn by a friend many years ago. One of three they seem to be late in letting go of their summer garb.

Now here we have baby Sweet peas just poking through after I had given up hope that they would ever appear. This was my Dads Sweetpea patch with trellis and I had great hopes of a grand display when I managed to plant the seeds over two weeks ago. So imagine my delight when Kerry informed me they had started coming through. There are also Ranuncular bulbs sprouting in front of them. I am so thrilled. 

I've had the mesh over them to stop the cats digging up the seeds, but the bigger problem has been not enough sunlight as early in the day the lemon tree shades them and later the trees. Soon though the trees will be bare and the sun will be able to work its magic.

I have shown you this plate flower made by a very talented neighbour. Well

Now I have a few more to grace corners of the garden. I love them and decided this one should keep the lemon tree company.
This one asked to have pride of place in a pot in the little courtyard.

And this lovely one was brought over to me on Sunday. I had collected some pieces for Vicky to use and also had found the gold dish so she and Cat had very kindly made this flower with it for me. I do sooo love them. Especially when there are not many flowers in the garden like now though there is the promise of Iceland Poppies very soon, then Fresias, daffodils and now joy of joys the promise of Sweetpeas and Ranunculars. 

After that refreshing and joyfilled wander it's is back to a seat in the sun

And some upcycled stitching. I will reveal later. I must also do the hand stitching on Bens quilt. There are also lots of ideas buzzing around in my head after our quilt group meeting on Tues. This year it is our exhibition year and I am in charge of the challenge. So far I have 3 or 4 on my mind and all sorts of other ideas vying for my attention. 

Yes! I am certainly feeling more chipper these days with lots of plans in the pipeline. And I do believe I will manage the club bus trip on Sat to the Hamilton Quilt show. Yeah!!

Oh! I almost forgot to show you these cuties I bought from the merchant at quilt group on Tues. they are called Poppets and are 75o/o wool and 25o/o nylon. Made by countrywide yarns NZ. 4ply.

Aren't they sooo cute. This is beside a 90g ball. 

I just couldn't resist them. I had to did out a smaller crochet hook to start experimenting with them. To be revealed later.

I can reveal my ironing board though with its new cover of Broomhill fabric. Yes I am very happy with my eventual choice. One project down and just a zillion to go.

So much to do. I guess that means many more hours in my studio haven. I shan't complain at that.
Hope you are finding joy in your days enough to put any trials aside. Love and blessings, Trills.xx

No comments:

Post a Comment